Sunday, 26 August 2012

Blog 3 - Computers for children or not.


In my centre we do not have a computer that the children can access and there is only my iPad and the teacher’s iPhones that can be used but even those have restrictions.

The teachers in my centre had a discussion about the use of computers in the centre and some of didn’t believe that they should be available to the children as they will get to experience that type of technology at school and also at home so why should it be our job as teachers to give them that experience. Preschool is about experiencing the outdoor world and finding out new things with your whole being not sitting in front of a computer watching a screen.



For me a have to disagree with this thought idea, I believe that technology in centres is fantastic for children to learn new and exciting things. For example one of the boys in my centre is totally into robots, robots of all types. Myself and the other teacher I work with do not have any knowledge of robots and the only way for us to find out was to get on the internet and search for robots. I took the boy into the office and we sat at the computer and searched for robots to find out what we could, we found out lots of information about what types of companies use robots and even found some robots games to play and colouring-in pictures that he could do. Without a computer I wouldn’t have been able to find out any information during the day to fulfil this boys desire to learn more about robots.

The next day he came into preschool with a book about robots and some pictures of robots that help build cars. Te Whāriki’s strand of exploration says that “children experience an environment where their play is valued as meaningful learning and the importance of spontaneous play is recognised” (Ministry of Education, 2007, pg.84) By having a computer available to the children this boy could have looked at robots with this friends and not have to go into the office away from his friends and his play could have been extended in his area not an office.




3 comments:

  1. Hey Nat!

    I agree with you 100% when you say that technology in centres is fantastic for children. I'm not sure if I did fully agree at first but now I know I do after seeing and hearing how much children can benefit and learn through these different experiences using computers, Ipads, Iphones, Camera's and all sorts :).

    I liked the way that you took this boys interest further as some teachers can turn a blind eye and not take it to the next step. It's cool how you were both learning more about the robots and finding things out on the internet, I bet this boy enjoyed this very much.

    Using the computer is a great way for the child to become familiar with it, Oldridge suggests that "in an effort to understand computer technologies, teachers endeavoured to find appropriate professional developmental opportunities" (pg.8). I think you did do this, so well done.

    I was wondering did more than one child engade in this experience with you or was it just you and the boy? It could be nice to make these experiences more and maybe with a group as then children would pick up more social skills and its always fun when there is a group.


    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nat,
    I agree with you and Jess - we should have technology made available for the children in their environment.
    When I was reading this reflection it made me think about your one on the volcanoes and using the iPad. Perhaps during this experience you could have used the iPad to search about robots?
    As you mentioned "by having a computer available to the children this boy could have looked at robots with this friends and not have to go into the office away from his friends and his play could have been extended in his area not an office".
    This could have been a great oppourtunity to use an iPad.

    In our centre we use the computers to help the children with their literacy skills too; by recognising the letters and typing their name every morning. This is great as we are encouraging the children computers aren't only for searching on the internet.

    I think it is great how you extended your own knowledge in order to scaffold the boys learning (MacNaughton & Williams, 2009).
    Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey nat
    sounds like you and your centre staff had a good discusion on whether to have a computer or not, most the research i have read around this is that if teacher are apposed to the idea its offen because they are not educated enough on the subject or they may not know how to use a computer themselves. Tsantis, Beswick,& Thouvenelle 2003 state that " when teacher doubt the effectiveness of using computers wisely or hesitate to develop thier skill at intergrating technology into instruction thier motivation and performance can suffer" (p.8). I think that most teachers and before this course even i didnt realise what a broad term technology was. Good work on using the computer with the child in the office, i wounder what the other staff members thought of that?

    Chloe

    ReplyDelete