Since we have no computer available for the children to use
freely we often use my iPad for looking at things on the internet and if a
child wants to have some quiet time or if they are sick and wanting to be
picked up they watch a cartoon while they wait. Our children are a very
up-to-date bunch and all have the finer things in life so I thought it would be
interesting to bring in my typewriter.
I purchased a typewriter a last year while on practicum and
found the children that used it last really enjoyed being able to see what they
where typing while they typed not waiting for it to print.
I explained what it was and then left them to explore it. One
of the children asked me “where is the screen?” And another asked “how do you
turn it on?” Ahhh the youth of today! They don’t know how good they have it. I
found these comments totally gorgeous and had to have a giggle to myself. With the growth of technology in homes,
schools and life the old objects used to create typed documents have vanished
with the introduction of computers and tablets and typewriters are the thing of
the past.
We all sat down and had a look at different parts of the
typewriter and them I showed them how to put the paper in and slide the barrel
across and start typing.
Some of the children got bored because there was “no games to
play” But one boy sat with me and went through pressing each letter and sliding
the barrel across when it reached the end, and kept going until he had filled
his page. Once he had typed his letter he went round to each teach proudly
showing them his typewriter letter. For the rest of the day all he wanted to do
was explore the typewriter and find out how it worked. The next day his mum
came in and told me how he had gone home and talked non-stop about the
typewriter he has at preschool.
By exploring something that isn’t run by power is giving the
children an insight to the past and allowing them to appreciate what they have
now. The technology strand of the New
Zealand curriculum says that “students
develop knowledge particular to technological enterprises and environment and
understandings of how and why things work” (Ministry of Education, 2007, pg
32) by talking and introducing technology to children we are increasing their
awareness of it and further expanding their interesting in figuring out how
things work.
The typewriter is now a new piece of technology
in our room without being actual technology.
Hey Nat
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your post, I loved my old typewriter but have not seen one in years, what a great idea to introduce yours to the children at your centre.
I like the fact that as you were confident with this piece of equipment, you were able to give children the technological terms, like barrel, which I am sure they have not heard of before.
I think it is sad but just one of those things that some children became disinterested because the typewriter had no games or even a screen. Maybe they are too young yet to appreciate what they have, it is so easy to take things for granted when you do not know how it was for us and our parents.
Ministry of Education (1996) states that children should use a variety of technologies to explore their world and you really have given them that, great job!
Hey Nat,
ReplyDeleteWhat a cool idea bringing in or even buying a typewriter! I remember having so much fun on my Granny's one that she had at home.
It is sad that these olden day technologies which were very advanced for that time are getting lost in history almost, as the new technologies are taking over and people are becoming spoilt with what new technology has to offer.
This experience definitely shows how “the teacher is key to effective educational use of technology” (Tsantis, Bewick &Thouvenelle, 2003, p. 4), without your guidance and knowledge of the typewriter, the little boy who wrote the letter might have given up like that other boy who didn’t like it because there was no screen, but instead her persevered and was very proud of his achievements.
:)
Hey Nat!
ReplyDeleteThis was so good to read :) To be honest I havnt even has any experience with a type writter so I think I would be asking those questions too haha- just jokes. I think this would have been amazing for the children to learn about the history of technology and learn about how it is still very beneficial today.
I notices that you said one boy was very interested and pressed down on all the letters, this is a great way for that child to gain literacy skills and even more fun to do it this way. Ministry of Technology (2003) state that children develop experience with some technology anf resources for mathmatics, reading and writing, (pg.79). This child would have definatly become more familiar with his reading and writing. I think that these experiences are the best to enhance a child's learning as they are enjoying it at the same time and it doesnt seem like just work to them.
You have given me a great idea to do in my centre. I think it would be awesome to extend this even further and maybe google pictures of some different types of type riders, i think you will find the children very interested in doing that. Overall great reflection.
Thanks :)